Sunday 9 December 2012

TNA PPV and TLC

So it's time for another TNA PPV. Apologies for not covering TNA much, but let's face it, it's crapper than WCW at it's crappest. TNA is hard to talk about these days because it's difficult to even give IT any constructive criticism. With the WWE, you can, but with TNA, it gets to the point where it's so off base that you don't even know where to begin. I'll be honest with you, I haven't seen any TNA programming in a while [hence I have not written about it], but I doubt it has improved very much in the last few months [since I last saw it]. Bound For Glory was supposed to be TNA's big PPV, built up like TNA's version of Wrestlemania, but a big PPV in front of a few thousand poeple with Austin Aries v Jeff Hardy as your main event is not much of a draw. It's doesn't quite get the casual wrestling fan interested, like John Cena v The Rock might. 

Anyway, Bound for Glory has come and gone, let's look at Final Resolution. I won't run through the entire card, but you can find that here [on the official TNA site]. Let's look at some of the more important matches [or at least I say so]. It seems a lot is being made of these Aces and Eights, so the fact that they are going to be fighting Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe makes sense, but the fact that Garett Bischoff and Wes Brisco were thrown in to the mix, does not. Angle and Joe are big name guys. Aces and Eights are supposed to be a big threat, going for TNA's top guys. This begs the question, what are Young Bischoff and Brisco doing in the match? Well as far as Bischoff, it's not too difficult to work out how he even got in to TNA. As far as Brisco, Ah! I don't care enough to even talk about it.

The Knockouts Title sees Mickie James take on Tara. I know, I'm mentioning a women's match as one of the main ones. It's not that I think it is one of the main matches, but I see those 2 and know that it's a match we could have just as easily had in the WWE, Mickie James v Victoria, so that makes it slightly more significant [at least to me]. Not only that but the pair of them, particularly Victoria [Tara], are not bad female wrestlers.

There are probably a couple of other bouts that might also catch the eye, but not my eye, so let me move straight on to the main event. Jeff Hardy is defending the World Title v Bobby Roode. What a main event! Last time I checked in at TNA, Bobby Roode was not a main eventer, and that was not so long ago. TNA is not likely to let Jeff drop the belt, it's probably one of the few draws they have. He might be unpredictable and occasionally turn up to a PPV all drugged up and unable to compete, but when he is able, he can still put on a great match. Either way, the main event is far from gripping, as is the card as a whole. Once again, TNA is not able to do what WWE has done in the past, put out a card where, even if I have not watched wrestling for a while, I take one look at it and a level of intrigue set in.

Speaking of the WWE, the TLC card is not far from a car wreck itself. We have already lost one of the 2 World title bouts [why there are still 2 titles I don't know]. It seems Punk is not fit enough to be competing but is fit enough not to be stripped of the title. Of course they need Punk as champion for the big match with Rocky at the Rumble. This leaves one big TLC question that I don't think has been answered yet, what will the main event be? We know what it was supposed to be, but why do I get the feeling that the World Heavyweight title match is not going to headline this PPV? Probably because it's The Big Show v Sheamus. How can that headline a PPV? If not that though, then what will? Surely 4 rookies and a dis-functional tag team will not main event a PPV? Does that mean the TLC match of Ziggler v Cena will? I don't know, perhaps it will be the World Heavyweight title after all. There is not much to choose from. Whatever is chosen, it won't be a jaw dropper, unless some other match is added, bigger than all the others, but that is almost certainly not going to happen with just 1 week to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment