Wednesday 5 December 2012

Overrated wrestler of the week

The Rock


Yeah that's right, it's time to get controversial. It's obvious to me that many people will disagree with me on this one, but hear me out. I am by no means a hater of The Rock. I don't dislike him for going to Hollywood or not following anyone on twitter [even RVD follows people Dwayne, and he has one of the biggest egos in wrestling]. What gets to me about The Rock is his seeming untouchability [I made that word up]. He can be away from wrestling for years, then make one appearance on Raw and get more cheers and screams than Fonzy. Add to that the fact that he 'aint all that' in the ring and the reasons to be frustrated with his popularity start to increase. Even his mic work since he has become 'Hollywood Rock' has gotten worse, yet the fans still go wild when he speaks. All he has to do is run through some of his catchphrases and he has them eating right out of the palm of his hand. 

When I wind back the years and see him during the Attitude Era, I do find him to be one of the coolest and most electrifying men in sports entertainment, but seeing his very sporadic appearances now and noticing that his popularity has not dropped one bit, despite his presence in the WWE being close to non existent, definitely bring the words 'overrated' to my lips.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment