Friday 14 December 2012

Overrated wrestler of the week

Shawn Michaels



This is one choice I found difficult to make. It's probably one of the only wrestlers that I have put here, thinking back and forward if he deserved it. HBK in the overrated wrestlers section, is he out of his mind? Well it may seem that way, but actually no, I'm most certainly not. Once again, as I have said in previous overrated wrestler write ups, I don't dislike Shawn or think he is [or was] a particularly bad wrestler. I think he's overrated. He's overrated because many people say he is one of the, if not the greatest wrestler ever. Absolutely not. Some also say he is the greatest sports entertainer ever. This might be closer to the truth. If not the greatest sports entertainer, then certainly one of them.

It's really simple. Have a look at some of his more recent bouts, before he retired. Have a look at some of the fights he was involved in even earlier. Have a look at some of his matches with Triple H. He must have gone through most of the match stipulations available at that time, with Triple H, and perhaps only the original match at Summerslam was anywhere near a classic. Some of the other ones, with particular emphasis on the Armageddon 2/3 Falls match, were, to put it lightly, a bit of a snooze-fest. How about his match at Wrestlemania 21? Some call this a candidate for one of the greatest matches of the year, yet the first 15 minutes of that [very long] bout were extremely boring. I think Shawn Michaels matches often end well, but they seem to take a while to get in to full swing. Sometimes you'd be better off skipping past the opening few minutes, just watch the last 5, they're often great. I know, if can be said about a lot of wrestling matches, but I think it applies to his most. Have a look at a lot of the PPV singles bouts he was involved in after returning to the promotion in 2002 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

As far as his entrance with his self made theme, his talking on the mic and his general entertaining of people, it's fantastic. The matches themselves though, not really. Don't get me wrong, he has been involved in many good matches, even great ones, but I would not be shortlisting him for any best wrestler ever awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment