Monday 31 December 2012

Thoughts on THQ going bankrupt and final blog post

It seems THQ has gone bankrupt. The company that had recently made it's 14th game in the Smackdown Series [many people, including me, still call it the Smackdown series as it started off being called Smackdown]. The question is, does this worry me? It seems to be worrying a lot of people who are talking about how if another company gets the license they might screw the series up. I say, screw the series up? It's already screwed up. I don't think there is a single game in the series that I would call, brilliant, fantastic, or probably even very good. There might be a few that I would consider pretty decent, and 1 or 2 certainly stand out as being the best of the series and quite enjoyable, but still have a lot of room for improvement.

Truth is I'm not that bothered about it because THQ have had a long time to make a, at least 'close to perfect' game and have still not managed it. When they come up with a mode that might seem interesting, like the GM mode, they just get rid of it after a while. If they continued to make improvements to it then it might actually be a pretty good mode right now. What about the 'free roam' season that looked quite promising in the Smackdown days? That could be great if they had stuck at it, but instead they got tired of previous modes, gave up on them, and made new ones that were intriguing but again, needed improvement. Then after a couple of goes, they gave up on them. Universe is the most recent mode that was getting tweaked. It seems to have improved, from what I read [since I didn't buy the most recent one] but honestly people, it would not surprise me if it gets taken out in the next release, particularly since it is probably going to be done by a different company.

There was just too much wrong with the series as a whole and not enough was being done in areas that needed improvement for a long time. Yes, the commentary still, after so many years, sounds very generic and the gameplay, with the occasional tweak here and there, was pretty much the same for many years during the Smackdown v Raw days.

I don't have any issues with a different company taking charge [as long as EA does not get the license. Would be nice if Rockstar got it, even though they don't do sport]. THQ was never able to fully please fans of the series and while some releases were okay, others were truly horrible and a complete and utter waste of money. The grass is not always going to be greener on the other side, but it might be time to give someone else a chance with this. 

Other than that, I would like to inform that this is my last post on this blog. The reason? Quite simple, I am moving on to different topics in the new year, and while I may continue to write about wrestling issues, I hope to find a platform where I get readers. This blog does get views, but I never get any feedback on any of my posts, bringing me to believe that people do not really care enough to give me any feedback, so my time is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment