Tuesday 23 October 2012

What do you want to see in WWE 14?

That's right I said WWE 14. This is the type of stuff you will soon be seeing on wrestling or gaming forums all over the internet, if you ever look at them that is. So am I excited about the new WWE 13 game sporting that Godless heathen on the front cover? You gotta be kidding me. It won't be long, possibly a few weeks after its release, that people will be complaining about all the weaknesses that this game has before discussing wishlists of what they would like to see in the upcoming WWE 14. This is pretty much what waiting for WWE  games has turned in to. It is a long wait, then a week of playing, getting fed up of it, then spending the following 11 months and 3 weeks discussing online and/or with friends what you would like to see in the new one, only to be disappointed by that one too and go through the process again and again until........no wait, there's no until, you just go through the motions over and over endlessly........unless of course you manage to quickly realize that the games are all crap and there is no point buying any of them, so stop it!

Let's be honest, when was the last time there was a good wrestling game, let alone a WWE one? If I was to be generous I might say there were a few that were okay many years ago, but since then they have only managed to get worse [strange isn't it? I mean since technology is supposed to be advancing and you would think that they would have improved year by year]. 

I decided to stop buying new releases of this most awfully crappy series a while back, but recently I made that old mistake of thinking 'I haven't bought a WWE game for quite a few years now. Oh go on then, I'll get Smackdown v Raw 11, it must have improved by now.' The reason I bought Smackdown v Raw 11 is because I still have not gotten around to buying a PS3 [and might not get round to it, since the PS4 is now being rumored]. Smackdown v Raw 11 was the last game of the series to be released for the PS2, so I got myself a copy from amazon for a cheap price from some seller from Greece. Obviously it was terrible, as I should have expected. I mean don't get me wrong, the Universe is a nice idea, it was just executed badly. I'm not going to take over this blog listing the stuff that was wrong with Universe mode but here are 5 issues.

1/ You can't re start Universe mode. The only way is to wipe any saved date off your memory card meaning you lose anything you created or unlocked.

2/ Titles can only be defended at a PPV.

3/ You do not choose who gets a title shot, the AI is the boss and makes the title bouts whenever it wants to and with whoever it feels like putting in them [usually the number 1 contender that can stay the same for a while].

4/ Cut scenes often get thrown in randomly and interfere in your match. Some of the time they are meaningless anyway, just put in there to annoy you.

5/ When you beat someone to unlock a wrestler [the one you are fighting], after the match Vince is lying in the ring hurt as if you has just fought him.

That'll do for now, but there are more. That is just the Universe mode. There are plenty of gameplay problems too. Lots of moves were taken out, wrestlers often get beaten with a simple suplex or bodyslam and run ins are done badly [wrestlers just run down the ramp and stand by the ring, distracting the referee during a count]. Once I was in a ladder match and for some odd reason my wrestler, first could not get rid of his ladder, even when I tried to get him to put it down, then, for some reason, he was getting sucked to the left of the screen. I made him slide out of the ring to investigate what was causing this paranormal activity, but then he got sucked all the way up the ramp and would have vanished in to the backstage area if it was possible. It was like he was made of metal and there was a magnet an the entrance. This is my only possible conclusion, he went in to 'magnet mode.' I mean this must be why the ladder also stuck to him. Perhaps I type in cheat but was unaware of it? Obviously this made the match unplayable and I had to end it right away. Keep in mind I think this was one of those one-off glitches that is not likely to happen every time.

Anyway I do not want to turn this in to a review of a game I recently ordered. I do regret ordering the game though [not the movie titled 'the game,' that was not bad] and will certainly not be getting any WWE game in the new future, or any WWE stuff for that matter really. I already got burnt too many times. I will probably continue to watch the programming for free, so I have something to criticize, after all, it's fun to have something to criticize. Remember, don't trust the commercials, don't believe the hype, don't read the previews, don't drink the cool aid. Just say no men [and women]. It'll do you good, you'll stay sane, have less to complain about and save yourselves some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment