Thursday 4 April 2013

Overrated wrestler of the week

Lex Luger
 


Whenever I'm a little stuck, wondering about who to stick in here, all I need to do is have a look at a list of champions and pick somebody who clearly did not deserve a title reign. That's why this one is easy, and to be honest, it's not just because he is a former champion, it's because he somehow passed for being a wrestler, when he wasn't one.

Luger is one of those bodybuilders who managed to get in to the wrestling business, quite simply, thanks to his physique. This is a 2 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion and a man who headlined multiple WWF PPV's back in the early 90's. Have you ever seen him in the ring? I know I have and I now wish I had spent my time better. It's not that I watched him and thought, he's no Bret Hart and Chris Jericho. It's that I watched him and thought, when is this guy going to actually, you know, wrestle? He spent most of his fairly short matches posing in the ring, taunting [by posing] and trying to lift the crowd [by posing again]. The occasional kick or punch was thrown in, with perhaps a suplex if you were lucky [it didn't always happen]. Then, his traditional submission finisher, and it was over, unless of course he lost, then there was no traditional submission finisher. He and Batista are two absolutely perfect examples of muscle men who have shown that even if you have zero wrestling ability, you can still make it to the top [more or less].

 

No comments:

Post a Comment