Monday 11 March 2013

Overrated wrestler of the week

 
Ric Flair
 
 
 
Yeah it's Ric Flair and yeah I do seem to be making mug shots of wrestlers a habit recently but, what you gonna do about it? Let me start by saying, his son, David, is much worse than he ever was. David Flair sucks, he has zero wrestling ability. I would much rather put him here than Ric, but I can't, because he's not overrated. He didn't deserve to be wrestling on television, that's for sure, but I don't remember a single time where I ever heard a comment about how great David Flair. He was never the focal point of any storylines, never in any main events, and never the World Champions, although I do believe he was the Television champion for a brief time, something he did not deserve.
 
Back to Ric Flair though. Look at that mug shot. Look how old he is now. I think he return to the ring in 2002 played a bit part in him being in the overrated section. He's a guy who, for me, outstayed his welcome. He didn't leave on a high, he hung around, and watching him wrestle in the WWE, he was clearly a shadow of the man he used to be. He always seemed a step behind the younger guys he was wrestling. His matches were poor, but his reputation carried him and meant he continued to be loved by audiences.
 
Having said all that, his bouts back in the day were not that great either. Most of the matches were made up of chops, kicks, punches, more chops, a few submission holds, begging for his life, thumb to the eyes, skinning the cat and a figure four leg lock. He didn't have an Arsenal of moves to impress, yet somehow managed to put in long matches with many near falls. I'm not saying the man was useless in the ring. There are Ric Flair matches I enjoyed, but he is a 16 time World Champion and referred to as one of the greatest ever. That, in my eyes, is overrated. Many fans love him, that's great, I have nothing against it, but his reputation flatters him.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment