Tuesday 27 November 2012

Last week's Smackdown

I've made a decision. I am not going to waste my time and energy giving my ideas of how the WWE should go about their business. Truth is, a company was created and it was created in order to make money. Have they made lots of money? Yes they have. Do some of their shows suck? Yes they do, but, so what, they still make money and that's what matters most to them. Every time the ratings go down drastically and/or the company start to lose money, they do something about it [usually bringing in some 'legend' from the past to get old fans watching again. Or bring in a some celebrity to make a new fan base]. Truth is a lot of fans now like to say what the WWE is doing wrong and they like to tell them what they should have done. Sometimes the right answer is crying out to be given. Sometimes you feel like the truth needs to be said, but at the end of the day this is not our company and the fact that we are interested in it does not suddenly give us a right to say what should be happening and who should or should not be getting a push. I mean it's fun to do. I myself like to play the GM. I like wrestling simulators where you take charge of a promotion and do what you want. It's fun, but ultimately, it's meaningless.

Back to the topic of the blog post, and before I begin I would like to try and follow the rules I outlined above. I am not going to give any hints as to what could or should be done, I am simply going to give a review of the show, and since critical reviews are acceptable, this one might [or definitely will] have some criticism in it.

Let me start by shocking you. Smackdown was not bad last week. It wasn't great or anywhere near as good as many Smackdowns I've seen in the past [most of them from a long time ago] but it was watchable and that is a start. Why was it watchable? Because characters who are unwatchable were not a part of the show. Teddy Long is away and as Vince would say, wherever he is, he can stay there. There were no divas on the show either. No segment, no match. Fantastic news. That always wastes air time. There were flaws of course, like the US champion losing a non title match [why?]. The tag champs losing to the World Heavyweight champ in a 2 on 1. Why even make that match? The only way they could save it was if it ended up in a no contest with a Sheamus interference. Then neither of the champs would have to lose. This way, whatever the story behind it [in this case Kane walked off], the tag champs were defeated by one [very big] man. The opening segment was horrible. It's nice to see Cena on Smackdown, even if just to do a segment, but the story line he is involved in is horrible [but I've said that before]. It was nice to see Ryback have a match on Smackdown again too, even if you knew pretty much exactly how the match would go.

Really now, let's face it, it is almost impossible to have a perfect show these days. There are always going at least to be a couple of bouts that you see and feel the endings made no sense. This Smackdown was about as close to decent as I have seen in a while, and that is quite an achievement but the standards of mainstream wrestling these days.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment