Wednesday 18 September 2013

Post Night of Champions ramble

So there it is. Night of Champions took place, and I didn't see it [just as I promised I wouldn't]. I did however look over the results and see that I got 5 out of 7, prediction wise, if you count the pre show that I predicted correctly. I also consider the Del Rio v RVD match a correct prediction. It is very difficult to predict DQ finishes, but I thought RVD would be walking out of the match without the title, so I was right.

There were 2 matches added to the Pay Per View card later on, like, on the night of the PPV, that I never understand! I mean, the WWE is all about doing what's 'best for business,' so why don't they advertise their darn matches? Any match advertised is extra incentive to buy a Pay Per View. If you just throw in some matches on the day of the PPV, without advertising them on a previous Raw or Smackdown, then some people may have made their minds up by then, and not buy the Pay Per View [you know, because they might feel there were not enough matches on the card!].

Oh by the way, it looks like Triple H reads my blog. You know how I mentioned that the Night of Champions Pay Per View did not have all the titles on the line? Well Levesque must have seen that, and added a match for the Intercontinental title to it. Now where's my money? I mean it is thanks to me that he remembered.

On to the matches I got wrong. The Punk v Curtis Axel and Heyman match. What can I say? I didn't expect Punk to lose another match at a PPV, and I certainly didn't expect him to be pinned by that sleezy slime ball, Paul Heyman. Punk has now lost at 5 PPV's this year [6 if you count Money in the Bank, but that was more of a 'not win,' rather than a loss]. He has only won 1 match, at Payback, v Chris Jericho, who is not wrestling full time these days anyway.

I really expected him to win, and even though the finish was a 'screwjob,' because there is no way he was going to job to Paul Heyman clean, a loss is still a loss. I mentioned that I was hoping this feud would be finished at Night of Champions, but it aint looking that way. We also seem to have the beginnings of a Punk v Ryback feud, that we had about this time last year, on the horizon. Great! More repetition, recycling or whatever you wanna call it. I call it being uncreative.

The other match I missed [got wrong] in my predictions was the main event. In this case though, I'm glad the WWE did the unexpected and gave the win to Bryan. Having said that, it worked out the same in the end, because Bryan lost his belt the following night on Raw, so one way or another, he is not the champion, but credit where it's due, I was not expecting it to happen like this.

I sometimes wonder if they do stuff like this, just to shock some of the internet fan base. I mean, there were probably leaks about what was going to happen at Night of Champions, but I've heard that the WWE is making a lot of decisions very late in the day [like a few days before the PPV's]. Apparently Sheamus was set to win his match against The Big Show at HIAC last year, but a few days before the event, the decision was changed. Other rumours state that certain match endings sometimes get decided on the night. This could be a way to throw some people off. You know, people who like to know what is going to happen at a wrestling show, before it does [for whatever reason].

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the Pay Per View, if you saw it. I'm not sure if the additional matches added much [well, other than more matches on the card]. I wonder how many more Pay Per View's the Daniel Bryan versus Randy Orton is going to span. By the sounds of it, Battleground is not likely to be a 1 on 1 match, since a vacated title is rarely picked up in a singles match [certainly not a title as big as the WWE title]. So the 2 might meet again in singles action inside a Cell. Then, and the following is a possible spoiler, they seem set to meet at Survivor Series [it is in some local listings]. So the feud will go on for a while. Is the feud interesting? Meh? Is it likely to produce some great matches? Well with Daniel Bryn in them, you'd think so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment